Friday, November 26, 2010

A New Friendship

The humming grew louder. I knew he was happy, because he always hums when he is happy.

Dad came in the door and our eyes met. His brown eyes crinkled at the edges as he smiled at me. I know he has seen many terrible things throughout his travels all over Azeroth, but you would never know it from the simple joy with which he approaches each new day.

"Hi, sweetie. Did you have a great day?"

"Yes, dad, it was very good. I made a new friend!"

"Really? Who is this new friend?"

"Her name is Tamashi. She is a new paladin in training. Our trainers gave us the afternoon to spend on our own, and we spent the whole day together."

"Tamashi..." His eyes went distant for a moment. "Oh, yes! I remember. She comes from a very good family. Why, one of her relations is an even more powerful druid than me. So, she is training to be a paladin?"

"Yes. We met up in Camp Narache when I was up there delivering a message for Gennia."

"She is your teacher. You should call her Ms. Runetotem."

"Sorry, daddy. Anyway, we met there and I went along with her to finish her quests in the camp so now she can move down here to Bloodhoof to continue her training!"

"That's wonderful, dear. But that would not take you the whole day. What other trouble did the two of you get into?"

"We went up to the digsite where the Bael'Dun dwarves have been. Ahmo Thunderhorn said that there were elementals there that were agitated over the dwarves' digging. He gave us a set of drums to play for them."

"So, Ahmo is now giving you new ways to bring harm to yourselves? I'm kidding of course - I know he would not intentionally endanger you. So how did things turn out?"

"Tamashi played the drums for the first elemental, and it became docile. However, when I played the drums for the next one, it became upset and attacked us. I was not prepared for that, and so it took me a moment to respond. Tamashi said, 'you're supposed to soothe them, not kill them.' Most of the elementals were content with our playing, though a couple more attacked us. When we were done, we returned to town and I spoke with Genn... Ms. Runetotem. Then I came home about twenty minutes before you got here."

I stopped in thought for a moment, then continued. "Daddy, why don't the people in town like me very much?"

He looked startled. "What do you mean?"

"Today, Tamashi said that she gets asked to do things like this a lot. I almost never do. In fact, I don't know if I would have gotten to do this task today if she had not been with me. Is it because they still think of me as an outsider?" I could feel my eyes starting to sting like I might cry, but I held back the tears.

"It could be. I'm sad that I did not see it before, and I am also disappointed that my people - my family, really - would treat you that way. You have lived here with me for some time now, and they should all know you."

"Oh, daddy, don't be sad. Besides, Tamashi is a wonderful friend, and I hope to spend many more days with her. When our studies allow, of course."

"All the same, I'm sorry that you had to experience that at such a young age. Your training will take you from the village soon enough, but I would like it to always be 'home' to you."

"Thanks, daddy. Home will always be wherever you are. Speaking of being where you are, what made you so happy this afternoon when you came home?"

"Oh, that? I was up in Thunder Bluff today and found lots of inscription work - enough to buy this." He opened his pack and pulled out a long brown cloak, much like his own. "I spoke with Quickhorn today, and he has invited you to become a Browncoat. Also, I brought home a special dinner to celebrate."

My eyes began leaking once again, but this time they were tears of joy.

-----

Author's note: Tamashi is a new character that a friend created to run with Lith'atal. Since she is not my own creation, I will try not to exert too much control over her story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in our blog. Lith'atal and I will review your comment for approval shortly, so don't be alarmed if it doesn't appear immediately. Have a pleasant day!