Tuesday, December 21, 2010

An Awakening (Part 3)


“...and then Tamashi and I got our belly-buttons pierced and I got a tattoo on my thigh and we stripped down to our skivvies and danced on the mailbox in front of the auction house until such a large crowd gathered that Garrosh Hellscream came out of the Hold and yelled at all of us to be quiet.”

Food wandered around his plate, never making it to his mouth.  “Mmhmm...  that's nice, dear.”

A petite blue hand slapped down on the table.  “Daddy, you haven't heard a word I said all evening!  What is going on in that thick skull of yours?”

His eyes focused on the hand, then up at his daughter for the first time since he had arrived home.  “Sorry, Lith.  I'm just...  kind of lost right now.”

“No kidding.”  She sat down beside him, leaning against his arm.  “So what has got my big, bad dad all lost in himself?”

“I'm not sure that you would understand.  Or, you probably would understand, but can't really help.”

“Try me.”

He sighed.  “You know how sometimes you make a hard decision and you think at the time that it is right?  But then, once you have a chance to think about it more, you question yourself and wish you could choose differently?  But by then the... opportunity... is gone.”

“Only all the time.  But there's more to it than that, isn't there?  What's her name?”

“Auryon.”  Then his mouth fell open.  “How did you know?”

“Dad, please.  You've been wandering around here all afternoon like a lost puppy.”  She lowered her voice to a conspiratorial whisper.  “Okay, tell me everything.”

He blushed.  “Well, most definitely not everything.”

When he had finished telling the story, she sat quietly, staring into the fire.  Then she giggled.  “You idiot.  You cute, impossible, loveable idiot!”

“Pardon?”

Her face was suddenly serious.  “Dad, when has what others thought, said or did ever stopped you from doing what you thought was right?  Look at me – when you brought me home to Bloodhoof Village, there were a few in town that were mad enough to spit.  Tamashi told me that her uncle Arlo actually tried to have us evicted.  But that wasn't enough; you then decided to allow me...  no, insist that I be allowed to enter druid training.  Me, a troll orphan from the slums of Orgrimmar!  It was fine when I was just a family member, they could ignore that.  But having me enter training – that brought us both to the attention of everyone in Mulgore, for good or bad.  If Gennia hadn't agreed with you to allow me to begin training, we could have been outcast completely.”

She paused for thought, then continued.  “You were right, the two of you won't be welcome in Orgrimmar or Stormwind anytime soon.  But I think she was more right – the two of you could find your own place in the world, together.  Daddy, you've been alone for as long as I've known you.”  She saw his glance, and held up her hand.  “You know what I mean – alone alone.  For once in your life, do something that is just for you, consequences be damned.  You'll at least have me on your side.  I'm sure Tamashi and Bookh would agree too.”

He stared at her for a long moment, his mouth open.  Then he shook his head in amazement.  “Thank you, Lith.  You're right – I'm an idiot.”  His eyes twinkled at her, then he continued soberly.  “But now I have a different problem – how will I find her again, and how will I win her back even if I do?  The last I saw, she was in tears on a boat to Booty Bay.  A short flight from there to Stormwind, and she could be anywhere in the world now, probably hating me with everything she's got.”

“Finding her might be the hard part.  Girls usually like flowers and poetry.  You're the best herbalist I know – you should have that part covered easily.  How's your skill at crafting verse?”

“You mean, something like:

Roses are red,
My daughter is blue
Violets aren't violet
But my girlfriend's blue too

She snorted.  “Corny.  That wasn't exactly what I had in mind.  No, the point of poetry is to show that you've actually thought about her – that you can't get her off your mind.”

“For a young'un you sure seem to know about courting, or think you do.”

A voice from the doorway chimed in, “And yet, you'd do well to listen to her – she has a lot more wisdom than we did at that age.”

He turned toward the troll who stood there.  “Bookh!  How much of this have you overheard?”

“Enough to know that you're an idiot, and that you're wasting time sitting here talkin' when you should be out there lookin'.”  Her eyes twinkled back at him.

“Fel!  Why is it that all the women in my life are blue!?”  He stomped from the room.


She stalks the jungle
Of my heart
On hooves of light

Arrow on the string
Seeking a target

Blue arches surround
Her head in a
Crown of glory

Cat prowls beside her
Ready for the attack

Her tail engages in
A Dance of exquisite
Balance and grace

Her prey stands enthralled
By her fierce beauty

Horns, tail, hooves, heart -
Are we really so different
After all?

She fires!
I am pierced

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in our blog. Lith'atal and I will review your comment for approval shortly, so don't be alarmed if it doesn't appear immediately. Have a pleasant day!