Wednesday, December 8, 2010

An Unexpected Transformation

Most amazing of all, to me, was that I had information that even Daddy did not know. I watched his eyes widen in astonishment.

"A troll?" he gasped. "Wait, say that again - Bookh is... he's a troll?"

"Well, he's also not he anymore either."

"A female troll?" He sat down heavily. "What happened?"

"Tamashi wasn't clear on the details. Apparently their family just found out too - he, I mean, she just showed up in the doorway as a female troll."

"I imagine that was quite a shock."

"Yes. She said that the Greatmother already seemed to know something about it, or expected something unusual to happen. I'm not sure if Bookh stayed around very long - apparently Bookh's uncle took it quite hard. According to Tamashi he's always been a bit racist, especially toward trolls."

"But how did it happen?"

"All that Tamashi could tell me was that somehow his - her - apprentice badly bungled some sort of healing or resurrection spell and ended up reconstructing Bookh in her own image. She was a troll."

He was silent for a moment, hunched over with his face in his hands. I heard him whisper, "oh, Bookh!" as his shoulders started to shake. I rested my hand on his shoulder.

"I know that he was a good friend of yours."

I realized my mistaken assumption immediately. As his head came up, a massive guffaw burst from his lips. He wasn't crying - he was laughing! He rolled back and forth, roaring with laughter until I was certain that a neighbor would come see what was the matter.

"Bookh - Bookh... turned into a... female troll!" he blurted between gasps.

Finally he stopped long enough to wipe away the tears. "Sorry, dear. I'm sure you don't find it nearly as funny."

I gave him a wounded look. "Daddy, in case you haven't noticed, I am a troll. And a female."

"Well, yes," he continued, "but... Bookh!" He descended into another fit of giggles.

I stalked from the room, at least pretending to be hurt - if not for my sake, then for Bookh.

"I'm sorry, Lith. I'll try to stop." He breathed in gasps for a moment. "Well, now I know another troll druid. They're just coming out of the woodwork. Of course, you realize the true lesson in all this?"

"Don't let your apprentice practice resurrection spells on you?"

"Maybe. I was thinking that, for you at least, you need to know just how critical it is to know what you are doing. Gennia is training you well, but don't be lazy just because she is a kind, laid-back person. Bookh could just as easily have been killed - or worse - by that spell."

"What would be worse than being killed?"

He turned to look into my eyes, suddenly quiet and serious. "Believe me, kiddo - you don't want to know." His eyes wandered off in a new direction. Then he giggled again.

"Well, because of this, maybe people around here will accept you more readily. You don't happen to know where Bookh went, do you?"

"I'm not sure. Tam mentioned the Moonglade - maybe she was going to consult with the archdruids?"

"Maybe. I heard that there are some strange goings-on up on Mount Hyjal - I intend to go up that way myself soon. Perhaps I will meet hi... her... there."

"How about some fishing before dinner?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in our blog. Lith'atal and I will review your comment for approval shortly, so don't be alarmed if it doesn't appear immediately. Have a pleasant day!